Title: Paulette Cooper harassment diary
xenu@mindspring.com (Rob Clark)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 22:10:24 GMT

certain people desperate for any possible chance to flog their hatred in public
have seen fit to make outrageous statements that paulette cooper's activities
were so minor that they only sent their most expensive private investigator
after her and extensively covertly audiotaped her, then filed the juiciest bits
in court.  oh and of course sued her 19 times, that is how insignificant she

and they only bothered to do *all this shit too*.  because she was so


From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (1) My background
Date: 27 Aug 1997 11:50:42 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY,* by Paulette Cooper (1982) **
Part 1: My Background
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square
brackets]]. * (asterisks) indicate a comment made in 1997. The
footnotes were all part of this diary.


  The following, for my lawyers, attempts to put a number of
disparate probably relevant events in chronological sequence. An
attempt has been made to focus on the emotions and feelings that
the different crises caused.

  I was born in Auschwitz.... around the same time that my parents
died there. I was sent to various orphanages in Belgium, along with
my older sister Susy. She was adopted by a Belgian Aunt and Uncle
when I was 4-1/2, and I was adopted by the Coopers. I came to
America at 6 (I became a U.S. citizen at 8), weighing only 36
pounds. (1)

  In the summer of 1959, I returned to Belgium and saw my sister
again for the first time since childhood. This was extremely
upsetting to me, especially since she was living under such
horrible conditions. I was also extremely upset after being shown a
photograph of my dead parents. In addition, I was also distressed
to see that the members of my family who had survived the
concentration camps (17 out of 22 had been killed), were living in
abject poverty, and some didn't seem to be mentally all there after
their concentration camp experiences. On top of it, they all kept
trying to convince me to return to live in Belgium. And it also
didn't help that my sister told me that I was responsible for my
mother's death. It seems that because she was pregnant with me,
she was unable to get away and was thus taken by the Germans.
This whole visit precipitated some guilts and depressions that
ultimately lead me into therapy in 1962 with Dr. Stanley Cath of
Belmont, Massachusetts. (2)

  I went to Brandeis and graduated in 3 years (not counting 6
months out for an appendectomy) with Honors in Psychology. (3) I
started off to get a Ph.D in psychology at Columbia University, but
hated it there and ultimately got a Masters Degree in Psychology on
a part-time basis.

  Simultaneously, I joined the real world, got a job
psychoanalyzing television commercials, followed by two jobs
writing them for ad agencies. *** While in advertising I sold my
first three articles -- to Cosmopolitan, TV guide, and The
Washington Post -- and left advertising to become a full-time
freelance writer in 1968.

  Footnotes on document

  (1) Although my parents were dead, the people in the orphanage
never told me this. They foolishly told me they were away and would
come and get me one day. This left me wondering what I had done
that was so awful that they would desert me, a problem compounded
by the fact that my family only visited me once in 6 years, while
the other kids all had family, and in some cases even parents, who
had put them in the home because they were too poor or disturbed as
a result of the war to care for them.

  (2) It didn't help that I was quite lost and did poorly in
college my first year (although from the second on, I was always
Dean's List.) In addition, my parents had been very-overprotective
and controlling, giving me no freedom, and I didn't know what to do
with freedom when I had it. In addition, I developed a huge crush
on a really nasty s-o-b who liked to shower me with affection and
then distance himself immediately afterwards.

  I was also constantly being contacted by my Belgian family and
sister who wanted me to live there. My mother recently also told me
that I told her at the time that I wanted to go into therapy
because I was getting very anxious and depressed and having bad
dreams because living in the college dormitory reminded me of
living in the orphanages During this period...I also resaw my
sister again in 1962 which was disastrous.

  (3) Most of my 2 years of therapy with Dr. Stanley Cath of
Belmont Massachusetts centered on trying to alleviate the guilt,
depression etc., of the earlier years and their more recent effect
on me (mostly by making me fear desertion to such a degree that I'm
afraid to get close to people), trying to show me that my
relationships with men (such as the one mentioned above) were very
superficial and ultimately self-destructive, trying to handle
strongly ambivalent feelings toward my over-protective parents, and
helping me to

  [[NOTE: Line fell too low and can't be read. Probably something
to do with gaining a sense of self or whatever.]]


  *Dean Benjamin e-mailed and offered to format all entries for me
so I'm grateful to him for this.

  ** There is no date on this "diary" -- technically a memoir since
it was written after the facts -- but I am guessing at 1982 or
possibly 1981 because at the end it says that Scientology had just
instituted their 15-16-17th suits against me, and they sued me 19
times, and I also say at the end that I plan to quit smoking soon
and I did that in 1982.

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (2) Beginning of involvement & harassment
Date: 27 Aug 1997 11:56:52 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 2: Why I Got Involved
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square
brackets]] and asterisks.


  In the summer of 1968, an early boyfriend who had become a
Scientologist after I dated him tried to get me to join. I took a
weekend course, and decided to investigate it further. I had
already established myself as a gutsy writer around this time by
successfully stowing away for a week on an ocean liner. But I had
no idea what I was about to take on. Most people were scared to
talk to me, some told me about death threats, harassment, etc., and
written material had completely disappeared from libraries. I
finally found some information in court cases and a Government
tribunal[[*]], and published my first article on Scientology in
December of 1969 in England. I also received my first death threat
that same month.

  While I was writing "The Scandal of Scientology" in 1969-1970, I
knew I'd have problems with them later. (1) Scientology also
offered to give me another book to write which would make a lot of
money if I would back off of this one, i.e., tried to buy me off.
But I knew that everything I said in the book was accurate -- and
it still is -- and that they were in bad need of exposure. I also
felt that they were a Nazi-like organization, and kept thinking
that if more people in Germany had spoken out in the '30's, my
parents and millions of others would have lived. But despite this
outward show of courage, I was already becoming afraid and anxious
in 1970 and 1971 since there was already some harassment
(following, phone calls, Scientology spies, libelous statements,
4 frivolous lawsuits etc. When in 1972 I found the remains of a
phone tap, I sued them in New York -- foolishly thinking that that
would make them leave me alone.

  I probably would have gone on to other things after my book came
out (especially since all 4 of the books published under my name
care out within a year or two of that period), but I began getting
phone calls and letters from people who badly needed help, and who
had been totally destroyed by this cult, as former members, their
families or critics. I tried to help them -- there was no one else
to except Nan Mclean in Canada who was to become my close friend
and confidante, but she didn't speak out publicly until 1973. I
also tried to work with the press and various agencies to help them
get information on Scientology.

  It was in the summer of 1972 -- a few months after I had sued
them -- that they first decided to frame me. (This I learned years
later from their own documents which were seized by the FBI in 1977
and will hereafter he known a the Washington documents) Their
object was to destroy my credibility by trying to get me
institutionalized (which they hoped to do by either driving me
insane, or, later in 1976, by having someone pose as me and act
insane publicly), or get me incarcerated, which would also
obviously destroy my credibility and curtail my activities.

  In the summer of 1972, I had an operation for fibroid tumors and
was seriously ill. I recuperated that summer at my parent's home,
although I was constantly complaining about the pain from the
operation. I was kept partially distracted that summer by the
arrival of L. Ron Hubbard Jr, known as Nibs, the son of the founder
of Scientology. Nibs had turned against his father, testified at
court case against Scientology, and I ghostwrote a 50 page expose
for him (called "1 1/10 of 1%.)[[**]]


  (1) I expected perhaps a rough year, but nothing unbearable and
nothing longer than that. Little did I realize what I was dealing
with -- or they with me!


  [[1997 Footnotes:]]

  [[*]] This was the Australian Inquiry or Anderson Report. I
obtained the first copy of it in the United States.

  [[**]] Unfortunately, Nibs never paid me my half, which was the
start of my lifelong love for him :-). I believe this article I
ghostwrote was translated into German and appeared in the
introduction to the German version of Bob Kaufman's book "Inside
Scientology." Most or all of it appeared later under various
articles Nibs wrote about his earlier years with his father.

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (3) The gun attack
Date: 4 Sep 1997 03:00:40 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 3: The Gun Incident
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square


  The really horrible harassment started around October of that
year, when I received the most incredibly vile anonymous smear
letter based on lies of the type typically made by Scientology of
their enemies (prostitute, thief, sexual pervert), and some gross
distortions of information known to the former boyfriend who had
tried to get me into Scientology in 1968.

  From around October to December 15th (when I was later to move),
there was also a tremendous amount of personal harassment. I was
getting a number of obscene calls (only when I saw the Washington
documents years later did I learn that the Scientologists had put
my name and phone number on walls, graffiti style), nuisance calls
(one day as many as 11, which obviously made it hard to write,
people visiting my apartment late at night trying to get in, etc. I
was starting to get quite frightened.

  My distant cousin Joy slept at her boyfriend's apartment a couple
of blocks away, but kept her things at my apartment and dropped by
after work each day. On December 6th, a mysterious girl named
Margie Shepherd came by with a petition for me to sign supporting
the United Farm Workers. I gave her a small check. She stayed about
a half hour. (Joy and her boyfriend were there part of the time)
and asked me for a drink of water. She wasn't alone very long, and
I didn't realize the significance of the following until more than
a year later. But when Joy came over to my place after work, she
would write her mother in California on airmail stationery. I never
looked at the blank stationery itself, but was always annoyed that
she would keep it on the coffee table. So after she left each day,
I would toss her coffee table items on her couch. Margie was
sitting next to that table.

  Anyway, I had begn [[SIC]] to realize that because of the
Scientology harassment I needed to move to a safer place. I lived
on the ground floor of a brown- stone in a building without a
doorman. Although I really couldn't afford to do it yet, I decided
to extend myself and move to the building which had always been my
dream apartment building (where I still live to this day.)

  By this time, I was already starting to go into a bad time
emotionally because of the smear letter, the harassing calls, the
inexplicable attempts by people to get into my apartment, etc. My
relationship with my boyfriend of the past few years, Bob.... was
also getting rocky. Although it had been serious until around
October, Bob did not like the harassment that was going on, and
especially the fact that I was letting it get to me.

  On December 19th, 4 days after I secretly moved here, and Joy
took over the old apartment (but hadn't put her name on the door
yet), a young black man came to my door (then Joy's but he wouldn't
have known that and Joy, like me then, was a slender short-haired
mostly brunette). He rang the bell as if checking if someone was
home. A black man in that neighborhood was highly unusual, but Joy
was still not suspicious when a second black man came by, about 15
minutes later, and rang "my" bell holding flowers. When Joy opened
the door, he unwrapped the "flowers"--which were just a few twigs
on top to hide a gun.

  He put the gun at her head, cocked the trigger, and the gun was
either empty or misfired. He then began choking her, but she
managed to break away and start screaming so he fled. The attack
was reported to the police (who commented on its mysteriousness).
When I heard about it later, I was almost as frightened about it as
Joy was (although incredibly, Bob didn't understand why I should be
upset over it.)

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (4) Disgusting smear letter sent
Date: 8 Sep 1997 20:25:36 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 4: Horrible Smear Letter Arrives
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square


  It was soon after Joy's attack that I received a visit from two
FBI agents, although this didn't upset me at that time. They told
me that James Meisler (Public Relations Scientologist in New York
whose job it was to handle me) had received bomb threats. Did I
have any idea who might have done it? Since the FBI told me Meisler
named me as a suspect, I figured he was behind it. After all,
Scientology had enough sincere enemies that had he really received
threats, he would have been worried and named some likely
possibilities. I felt his motivation might be that he had come off
looking bad in a couple of interviews in which I was quoted along
with him. I felt he was therefore trying to obtain sympathy to make
up for the points he lost with incompetence. At that visit, I also
agreed to be fingerprinted when the FBI asked me.

  Things were generally quiet for about a month after that,
probably because Scientology didn't know I had moved. However, I
was a little worried when I got a second visit from the same FBI
agents and learned that they had gone to Bob [[...]] [[my
boyfriend]] and Joy's boyfriend asking if I was the type to send
bomb threats.

  On February 4th or 9th of 1973, a horrible anonymous letter was
sent to about half the residents of my new building (or about 300
people) urging them to get me kicked out, saying I had venereal
disease, had sexually molested a 2 year old baby girl, etc. The
only thing they got right about me was my age -- which was the last
thing I wanted known -- and there was also an incorrect reference
to my having a "swollen tongue." I had a cracked tongue when I was
a young child, which doctors believed came from vitamin
deficiency in the orphanage. (1)

  Obviously, I was terribly upset by that letter. I had dreamed for
years of moving into this building, and was petrified that I would
be kicked out. Furthermore, I was horribly embarrassed, especially
when I heard people talking in the elevator about the new girl with

  On that same day, I also received a second brief visit from
Margie Shepherd again, before she disappeared permanently from my
life allegedly to go to Boston. With her that day was a very sweet
girl named Paula Tyler, who told me a sad story about coming from
California and being raped while hitch- hiking. Could I help her
get an apartment in this building from some absent tenant at a
reduced rate? I did, and later, her so called platonic friend, a
very friendly asexual type boy named Jerry Levin moved in upstairs
with her.

  Jerry and Paul dropped by to visit each day, and along with my
girlfriend in the building (a writer named Barbara), we all became
quite friendly.


  (1) I knew it was Scientology for a few reasons. First, only they
would make up something as horrible as VD. Secondly, the "sexually
molested 2 year old baby girl" was a reference to one of their own
male "ministers" who had done that--and they were the only ones who
knew that I knew the age of that girl since I had left that out of
my book. Third, the letter said I had just returned from the
Europe, but in fact had returned from the Caribbean. But they had
wrongly told some people I was in Europe at that time.

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (5) The first grand jury
Date: 11 Sep 1997 19:41:08 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 5: My First Grand Jury
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square


  In the middle of February I was subpoenaed to appear before a
Grand Jury. I was excited, and flattered, thinking that the
government was gathering evidence on Meisler's reporting false bomb
threats, and wanted to know some thing about the crazy group he
belonged to, or the origins of our "feud". Thus I figured I was
being called as an expert witness or something and didn't even show
up with an attorney.

  Bob S [[boyfriend]] was a criminal lawyer, however, and he
advised me not to open my mouth without a lawyer until I was sure
that I was not the "target" of the investigation. At that Grand
Jury, to my amazement, Gordon said that I was the target of the
investigation. And I almost dropped dead when he told me that if I
was convicted, I could get 15 years! I think it was at that moment
that my nightmare really started. (John Gordon was the Assistant
U.S. Attorney.)

  Petrified, I started looking for lawyers -- none of whom wanted
less than a $5,000 retainer! They would call Gordon and hear that
the government had some "very serious evidence" against me -- but
no one would tell us what the evidence was. They wouldn't even tell
us when the two supposed bomb threats allegedly received by Meisler
were mailed, and I had traveled enough as a travel writer that I
might have been able to immediately prove I couldn't have sent
them. I was very upset over having to hire an expensive lawyer to
defend myself on something I knew nothing about. And then each
lawyer started throwing out terms like "indicted" (based on letters
I hadn't seen, mailed on dates I didn't know, based on evidence the
Government wouldn't tell me), and I don't know which was greater:
my rage at the injustice, or my panic at the possible consequences.

  I retained a prestigious criminal form of former AUSAs, Morrison,
Paul, Stillman & Bailey (the last no relation), paid I believe 1/2
of the $5,000 retainer (the rest was loaned to me by my parents)
and worked primarily with a sanguinary sonofabitch named Jay. Even
before the next Grand Jury, Jay suggested I take a lie detector
test, and being so naive in those days as to think lie detectors
worked, I agreed. They chose one of the most prestigious firms in
the country, Richard Arthur. But the test came out inconclusive and
the examiner felt that because of my sensitivity to the shades of
meanings of different words (as a writer), that I fell into the
category of people who cannot and should not be tested on lie
detectors. (1)


  (1) I didn't successfully pass the control test first, which was
to look at a pink piece of paper that had a blue border and say
"yes" that it was pink. I still noted the blue, and so registered
lying when I said "yes" it was pink.

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (6) Frame-up: The bomb threat letters
Date: 18 Sep 1997 21:33:59 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 6: The Bomb Threat Letters
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square


  The night before the main Grand Jury, which was around April, I
finally saw the two letters for the first time. They were actually
a relief, because they were so foolish and grossly ungrammatical
that it was obviously not my style. The first letter was also a
very unsubtle attempt to look like me, so that it became
immediately obvious that someone was trying to implicate me, either
to get me, or send Scientology bomb threats on their own without
any risk to themselves by trying to make it look like my doing. (1)

  The first letter started "these damned books they are closing in
on me" immediately establishing that the person who wrote that was
either someone writing books, or someone with wall-to-wall
bookcases in their apartment, which was also true about me. It also
said "I hurt -- my operation" and this planted the first seeds of
suspicion -- later to become an obsession -- about Nibs (L. Ron
Hubbard Jr.) And again there was that wrong reference to me that
had appeared in the smear letter to the building "my tongue is

  The second letter, allegedly received Dec. 13th (although it
mysteriously never went through the mails, and suspiciously the
only fingerprints on the envelope were Meisler's we were later to
learn) planted the first seeds of suspicion about my close friend
Bob Kaufman, who had also written an anti- scientology book My
lawyers were later to become highly suspicious of him, especially
because he had had a nervous breakdown after being in scientology
and had been institutionalized. The letter sounded like him (2) but
this one sounded "more like Meisler, because it said that "Hitler -
Hubbard - Meisler must be destroyed." (I felt that the only person
foolish enough to put 'Meisler in with Hitler, or with his
counterpart, Hubbard, had to be Meisler himself


  (1) Gordon [[ the U.S. Prosecutor against me on this case]]*
{paid me the dubious compliment of saying he thought I did it
because the letters were so stupid that they must have been written
by an intelligent person, and he didn't think Meisler was too
bright. Gordon also had some other things to say to my lawyers that
added to my sense of frustration and rage over what was going on.
When my lawyers pointed out that I had no motive to send bomb
threats since I was then doing extremely well against Meisler and
Sci in my NY suit, [[line missing which I think said "Gordon said
that people who send bomb threats are crazy so they"]] don't need
any motive. When we pointed out that I would hardly write a letter
to a building I had just moved into to try to get myself kicked
out, and because of the "swollen tongue" the two seemed to be
written by the same person Gordon told my lawyers that people who
send bomb threats are disturbed and therefore might do anything.
When we later pointed out that I would never send anonymous letter
to my parents to hurt them, especially one that said I wasn't a
good writer when they were supporting me, we got the same argument.

  The government also thought they were brilliant in concluding
that the writer of the letters was Jewish. But they kept ignoring
my lawyers when they pointed out that so was Meisler -- and if it
was a frameup of me, it would be made to look like a Jewish person.

  (2) The letter sounded like Kaufman because it started off
"James" and Bob was the only one to call Jim Meisler "James." It
also referred to "a exploding volcano" which is an important image
in Scientology, and was discussed in Bob Kaufman's book. But I
didn't think Bob would say "a exploding," and anyway, he's very
bright and surely knew that volcanos erupt and not explode.

  [[Prosecutors often go after cases they think will bring them
publicity, even if they have evidence that the person is innocent.
After the FBI raided Scientology and found the documents about me,
and the story of the frame-up appeared in the newspapers, a friend
of mine, Dr. Stephen Barrett, who is very active in anti-quack
areas--indeed, he has an interesting web site up in this area now--
sent the prosecutor, John Gordon the newsstories about the
frame-up. and wrote him the following:)


  Dear Mr. Gordon:

  Our records indicate you were the prosecuting attorney in the
criminal case against Paulette Cooper, one of the few people in
America who had the courage to speak out against Scientology.

  We assume you will be hearing more about this matter as it
unfolds. Meanwhile, you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.


  Stephen Barrett, M.D.]]

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: [6a] Going to get very interesting
Date: 18 Sep 1997 21:39:45 GMT

  The next several sections, about the frame-up, are the most
interesting. Unfortunately, I've been very busy, since I have a new
book coming out in a few weeks. Also, going through the "diary"
(actually a memoir) and straightening the order out is taking
longer than I thought (e.g., the footnotes in the actual document
don't match the position of the footnotes when it was scanned,

  I have also found rereading and reliving it all very upsetting so
I can't move as fast as I had hoped. (I actually have not yet been
able to read the whole thing, and just working on the frame-up part
this week kept me up for the whole night afterwards.)

  And finally, before I can post the next sections, Dean Benjamin
will format them. Sorry for the delay but I hope to be able to post
more next week or the week after.

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (7) Frame-up: The Big Grand Jury
Date: 24 Sep 1997 18:59:16 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 7: Frame-up: The Big Grand Jury
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square


  (Sorry, this was not formatted. The following all refers to the
second Grand Jury; I went to the first one without a lawyer,
thinking I was being called as an expert witness on Scientology,
and not realizing that I had been framed and was in serious

  Anything written in [[ ]] was added today. The rest was written
around 1982. I've added paragraphs now to make it easier to read

  Not surprisingly, I was petrified when I went off to the Grand
Jury. My lawyers and I still had no idea what the evidence was,
although we pretty much thought it had been my typewriter that had
been used.[[for the bomb threats the Scientology PR director in New
York claimed to have received]]

  That whole afternoon, [[at the Grand Jury]] I tried desperately
hard to answer every question as truthfully as I could, foolishly
believing that if I did that, any idiot could see that I was
innocent. (I also foolishly believed I couldn't be indicted for
perjury if I told the truth).

  It was the first time I saw the actual letters themselves (the
previous evening had been a photocopy) and had never seen that type
of airmail stationery before (and wondered also why air mail
stationery had been used to mail a letter from one place in New
York to another) (1)

  I kept being asked if I had seen the stationery (no), touched it
(no) typed it (no) had any idea who wrote it (Meisler), etc. I
answered all questions truthfully for hours and never took the 5th.
But I knew I was in trouble nonetheless when Gordon [[the Assistant
U.S. Prosecutor on this case]] asked later for my social security
number, whether I was on drugs, whether I understood what was going
on, etc.

  Then he leaned forward and asked something like "well then, could
you explain how your fingerprint got on the second letter?" I
almost collapsed. I felt like a grand piano collapsed on my head
and the room actually turned upside down (I sort of fainted sitting

  Still, I kept my external composure but was so totally unprepared
for this, that I really had no explanation. (Although I wished
later that I had said that a fingerprint on a piece of paper is not
like a fingerprint on a piano at the scene of a crime. A piece of
paper can be moved around, and fingerprints obtained before someone
writes something on it.)

  Instead, I began to express my suspicions about Nibs [[L Ron
Hubbard, Jr., with whom I had spent a month working on some writing
about six months earlier]] and explained how he had access to my

  That evening, I was greatly relieved, despite the disaster of the
day, convinced that since I so obviously told the truth, all would
be OK. Thus, I was horrified and petrified the next day when Gordon
told Jay [[my main lawyer]] that he thought I was lying and I was
going to be indicted for perjury as well as for sending the two
bomb threats.

  Gordon also offered to drop the whole case however if I would go
back in to the Grand Jury and change my testimony, and he promised
that everything would be sealed and secret forever. (2)

  (1) After the Grand Jury, I asked Joy* on the phone if she had
"red and blue bordered air mail stationery" and she said no. But I
described it wrong. It wasn't bordered totally--just on one side
which is why she got confused.

  [[I don't know if I explained this earlier. Joy, a distant
cousin, (the one who was also attacked in what appeared to be an
attack aimed at me), had moved to New York from California a few
months earlier and was spending the nights with her boyfriend (Bob
U..., a lawyer) a few blocks away.

  In order to keep her mother from finding out that she was
sleeping over with a man --remember that this was 1972 when such
things were frowned on -- she kept some of her things at my house,
and would come to my place from work each day, talk with me, call
her mother, and write some friends in California (phone calls were
expensive and there was no internet). Then she'd leave to spend the
rest of the night at her boyfriend Bob's.

  (2) I was against it for moral reasons (I honestly believed at
the time that I physically could not lie under oath before a Grand
Jury), and also out of anger (why in hell should I lie under oath
and admit to a crime I didn't commit so the government could save
face for having made a mistake.)

  Bob [[S..., my boyfriend at the time, who was an attorney]] was
against it for very practical reasons. He pointed out that if I
said I sent bomb threats, even under seal, every time there was a
bomb threat in New York, I would have the FBI at my door. As it
was, once I was indicted for it I worried about this from the time
of my indictment until 1977 anyway.

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (8) frame-up: telling my parents
Date: 26 Sep 1997 10:29:56 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 8: Telling My Parents
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square
brackets]]. I added paragraphs today for easier reading (but it may
mess up the formatting)


  I called my [[adoptive]] parents and sadly told my father what
had happened [[that I was going to be indicted unless I admitted to
sending bomb threats I hadn't sent]] and what the government wanted
me to do. [[Say I sent them i.e., cop a plea.]]

  Dad assured me that any financial or emotional support he would
give me was completely independent of whether or not I had done it.
"But just out of curiosity," he asked, "did you do it?"

  I said, "Dad, I've lied to you about a few things in the past,
like what time I really came home some nights. But this is
important so I wouldn't lie to you about it. I didn't do it."

  Dad then said, "Mom and I wouldn't want you to perjure yourself
before a Grand Jury and admit to a crime you didn't do to save us
money. And if we have to sell the house to defend you, we'll do
it." I started to cry, Dad was holding back tears, and Paula Tyler
who was there by the phone cried also.

  To digress for a moment, shortly thereafter I came across a
picture in a Scientology publication of a girl who looked very much
like Paula [[Tyler, a "friend" who turned out to be a
Scientologist, who introduced me to Jerry Levin, who also turned
out to be a Scientologist]].

  When I confronted her with it, however, she was extremely
convincing and composed, angry that any Scientologist might look
like her. A few weeks later, she received a telegram that her
parents had been in a car crash in Europe, and she disappeared

  [[*Four years later, when I was working with the FBI on this
frameup/Operation Freakout/Snow White investigation, I was shown a
surreptitiously taken photo of Paula taken at a recent Scientology

  [[Three paragraphs from the 1982 diary cut. Incidentally, at a
later date I plan to post the whole diary without any cuts.]]

  [[1997 Footnotes:]]

  [[*]] This is confusing so let me go over it again. In December,
a woman calling herself Margie Shepherd, came to my apartment and
asked me to sign a petition.

  She introduced me to her friend Paula Tyler, (who turned out to
be a Scientologist), and after I became friendly with Paula, she
introduced me to Jerry Levin, who became my roommate, who also
turned out to be a Scientologist.

  It was always my opinion that my stationery was stolen by Margie
Shepherd, not Jerry, although the FBI later insisted that their
inside information from several sources made it clear it was Jerry.

  Perhaps Jerry was outside my apartment and Margie brought him the
stationery after I'd touched it. Or Jerry broke in (Margie may have
unlatched the door for him) and took the stationery. The question
of exactly how they got my fingerprint still haunts me, and if
anyone has some information about this, or any of these three
people, I'd like to know for my own peace of mind.]]

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (9) Frame-up: arrest
Date: 29 Sep 1997 12:34:29 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 9: Arrest
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square


  On May 9, 1973, I was indicted on three felony counts, two of
sending two bomb threats through the mail, and one for perjury for
denying doing it (and stating that I thought Meisler [[the NY
Scientologist in charge of PR and me!]] had sent them to himself).
Each count carried a possible 5 years (15 years in all) and a
$5,000 fine ($15,000)

  I will never forget the terrible humiliation of my arraignment on
May 19th (when I pleaded not guilty), and of standing in that big
courtroom with all those criminals, and then being marched
downstairs past prisoners to be mug shotted, fingerprinted and
arrested. (But the arrest was still better than I feared, because
for the entire two previous months, I had been petrified every time
I went down to my lobby that I might be arrested there in front of
other tenants -- which would be especially humiliating after that
embarrassing smear letter.)

  I will also never forget how sick I felt when I opened up the
envelope containing my indictment: "The United States of America
vs. Paulette Marcia Cooper." My thought was "200 million people
against me?" And I was sick when I thought of how hard I had worked
when young to become an American citizen,[[*]] and how much it had
always meant to me, only to have my government turn against an
innocent person.

  [[1997 Footnotes:]]

  [[*]] I became an American citizen -- I originally came from
Belgium -- two years after I arrived in America as part of an
adoption/citizenship "package." I had studied hard to learn English
(I only spoke French until I came to America) so I could answer
questions about the USA in English at the hearing.

From: Paulettec@aol.com
To: martinh@islandnet.com
Subject: Paulette's diary: (10) Falling apart
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 06:48:29 -0400 (EDT)

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 10: Falling apart
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square
brackets]]. Paragraphing added today.


  It was also around that time that I became extremely afraid of
going to prison and began having the recurring prison dreams which
I am still plagued with to this day.

  Jay [[my lawyer]], who would always predict the worst happening,
said that with a fingerprint (1) [[...]], I had a 95% chance of
conviction. He also felt that I had a small chance of a short
prison sentence ("hopefully," he added) and I became frightened of
physical and sexual dangers that would be harder to fight because
of my small frame.

  My biggest fear, though, and the one that caused me the most
anxiety was that the story of my indictment and arrest would leak
out in the press, especially since the public doesn't generally
know the difference between someone who's indicted and someone
who's guilty.

  I was petrified for my career, which had been going along so
beautifully. But certainly no editor would ever give an assignment
to someone indicted for sending bomb threats to people she had

  And if I was forced to leave freelance writing, which I had
worked so hard to succeed in [[I already had four books out by the
time I was 30]] and was one of the few people to do so, I doubted
whether it would be easy for me to get a job again with that kind
of background if it was publicized.

  These problems hounded me for years, as did acute anxiety about
possible public humiliation -- and the fact that it was all so
bizarre made it likely to get extensive press coverage -- to me and
my parents.

  I hardly wanted every detail of my life coming out in the
newspapers while looking like a criminal and I felt even worse for
my poor [[adoptive]] parents. Everything I had ever done in my life
had been to make them proud of me, and not feel that they were
wrong in adopting me. And now we were all about to be hurt and
embarrassed publicly

  (1) The fingerprint was also weird, because it was just one
quarter of my third finger on one side of the page. This was not
consistent with my holding the piece of paper (in which case, it
would have been a fingerprint on the other side as well) as the
government contended.

  I was to realize much later, however, that it was consistent with
taking a pile of papers and tossing them as I used to do with Joy's

  In addition, I was later to wonder whether Margie Shepherd [[the
probable Scientologist who showed up at my apartment and had me
sign a petition the night before the first bomb threat was mailed]]
hadn't placed that paper under the clipboard which held the
petition I signed (which also would have [[line undecipherable but
it probably said "also would have explained the fingerprint being
only 1/4 of a finger on one side only)."]]

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (11) Frame-up: breaking down
Date: 7 Oct 1997 20:43:40 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 11: Breaking down
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square
brackets]]. Paragraphs added now


  By the summer [[that I was under indictment as a result of the
frame-up of me by Scientology ]], the anxiety, fear, despair etc.,
became constant and uncontrollable.

  I would wake up suddenly in the middle of the night from a bad
dream (if I hadn't drank enough to knock myself out for the
evening), in a sweat, often dreaming about prisons, concentration
camps and orphanages.

  I was so frightened and anxious thinking about what was happening
[[that no one believed I was innocent, that I was about to face a
major trial for what I didn't do, that the trial would be followed
closely in the newspapers, and that everything I had ever said or
done could come out in the trial and then the newspapers]] that I
would often stay up (smoking) (and sometimes drinking more) the
entire night, doze off around 6 A.M., and then awake to acute
nausea (which was chronic for the whole period) and an acute
anxiety attack around 9 when I knew Jay [[my lawyer]] was likely to
call with more bad legal news. (Sometimes I had to wait as long as
2 weeks to learn anything, dreading a ringing phone all the time.)

  I was constantly nauseous. From about May until October I only
could force myself to eat one or two eggs in the morning, and about
16 ounces of clamato juice each night. I was smoking about 4 packs
of cigarettes a day, sometimes more.

  By June or so, I no longer just drank at night to help me get a
few hours of badly needed sleep. I started drinking whenever I felt
anxious, which was from the moment I woke up.

  And since vodka (even a half a bottle a day) didn't cut the
anxiety, I combined it with contraband valium. And I was also
saving whatever valium I could for use right before the trial if I
felt I simply couldn't withstand such a humiliating ordeal.

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (12) Frame-up/suicidal
Date: 10 Oct 1997 11:28:41 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 12: Suicidal
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square
brackets]]. Some paragraphing added currently


  I had become increasingly suicidal as time went on. I was in a
rage over the sense of injustice over what was happen [[being
accused of a crime I didn't commit and having to stand trial for
it]] and things just kept getting worse and worse.

  There seemed to be nothing left except the agony of a public
trial to prove my innocence, with high publicity, and great
embarrassment to me and my parents. Even if cleared, I knew my life
and career were ruined. And the alternatives were even worse.

  The night of my 30th birthday, [[...]] I was at my lowest, most
suicidal point. A number of other serious things had also gone
wrong that day.(1) I decided not to wait until the trial [[I had
been thinking of killing myself the night before]], but to save
myself and my parents any further agony.

  I got riproaring drunk and started to write a suicide letter to
my parents, trying to explain to them that I simply could not take
the psychological pain any more. Fortunately, an old and close
friend, Lucy, called me to wish me a happy birthday while I was
writing the letter. And although I didn't tell her I was planning
suicide, she recognized that I was in a very bad state. She kept me
on the phone for hours, and finally calmed me down. I passed out
from exhaustion, alcohol, and valium.

  I was aware that I was having a nervous breakdown. But I was
afraid to go to a psychiatrist because I knew that it could be
brought out at trial. (The government's contention was the people
who send bomb threats are insane might be reinforced by seeing a

  I also would have benefited greatly if I could have gotten away,
but I couldn't. I had no money left, didn't think it fair to ask my
parents for more money in view of what they were spending in legal
fees,[[*]] couldn't ask for a free trip and write about it (as I
had been doing in the early '70's and am starting to do again)
because writing had become too difficult. [[I couldn't concentrate
to write all that year.]]

  But mainly, I was on some kind of parole or probation before
trial and was not allowed to leave the state without the court's
permission. The notion of having to ask the government to even go
to New Jersey was so humiliating that I meekly stayed home.


  (1) First of all, Bob [[my boyfriend]] was supposed to see me on
my birthday, but had backed off. I knew he didn't want to be with
me in my state, and I was too far gone to be able to pretend to be
happy, which is what he always wanted me to do.

  Secondly, my fourth book, "The Medical Detectives" which was
later to get rave reviews and win a special award, [[it received a
Special Award from the Mystery Writers of America which offers the
Edgar Allen Poe award for the best fact crime book]] had the first
review come out that day -- the only one of two bad reviews out of
hundreds. I thought that augured poorly.

  I also turned 30 and was single which before women's lib [[...]]
augured poorly.

  [[1997 Footnotes:]]

  [[*]] I believe the legal fees were ultimately $19,000 just to
the main lawyers -- which would be like around $40,000 today -- and
that the total for all lawyers, tests, etc., was $28,000 -- in 1973

  And then my main lawyers sued my father and me to try to get more
money out of us! Bastards. (Indeed, one of my two main lawyers,
Charles, went on to defend Reverend Moon several years later.)]]

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (13) Frame-up: deterioration
Date: 14 Oct 1997 20:04:31 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 13: Deterioration
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square


  By the summer [[of my indictment for the bomb threats actually
sent by Scientology to frame me]], with the trial scheduled for the
fall, this [[namely the fact that I was not permitted by the court
to travel out of the state]] was no longer a problem anyway,
because for the first time in my life I became increasingly
agoraphobic and unable to leave my house.

  In fact, one of my closest friends died during this period (which
certainly didn't help my state of mind, to say the least) and as
distraught as I was, I couldn't make it out of my apartment that
day for his funeral.

  I was terrified to be around people. I remember one friend coming
over to try to make me walk around the block, but I was too anxious
to take more than a few steps and started crying, begging him to
let me return home.

  In addition to my psychological deterioration, I was also looking
pretty awful. Partially it was from tension, total lack of sleep,
the fact that I cared so little about myself, or life in general,
that I stopped taking care of my hair, makeup, clothes or anything.

  Most days it was too much for me to even straighten up the
apartment (nonetheless clean it or do the dishes), and I stopped
playing with my little dog to whom I had been very attached.

  I was also physically ill. My stomach pains returned, [[I had had
surgery for fibroid tumors a year earlier]] along with some female
problems, and this added to my fears because the doctor had
indicated a year earlier that I would need further surgery [[that
the fibroids were likely to return]], and I hardly wanted to go
through that ordeal again. (1)

  Not surprisingly, my relationship with Bob [[my boyfriend of
several years]] became increasingly strained, posited mostly on the
events which made me, as he put it "no fun anymore." He simply
could not understand why I couldn't ignore what was going on.

  I lost all sexual interest (I also developed a new problem then
and that was that I didn't want anybody to touch me, sexually or
otherwise), and by mutual agreement he started seeing another girl
"for sexual purposes." I knew she was working on getting him for
more than that, and it added to my problems when I realized I was
losing him to her.

  Jerry [[the secret Scientologist]] and Barbara [[my best friend]]
were the only people I saw each day. Around May or so, Jerry had
convinced me that he should move into my apartment.

  Indeed, Bob thought it was a.good idea, since he knew I was
highly unlikely to be "unfaithful" to him, especially with an
asexual immature child. Jerry paid half the rent, which I badly
needed, and I was fearful and liked having a man around for
protection. In addition, when I became extremely agoraphobic, he
went out and did the shopping and the little things I couldn't
leave the house to do.

  (1) [[personal female problem cut]]

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (14) Frame-up: Greenes/L. Ron Hubbard Jr.
Date: 16 Oct 1997 11:58:31 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 14: The Greenes; L. Ron Hubbard Jr.
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square
brackets]]. Also, I have added some paragraph breaks.


  To defend myself, I spent most of my time ruminating about the
case, wondering how my fingerprint could have gotten on letters I
never saw or touched, (1) analyzing the letters, and comparing type
faces with letters from all the suspects (Meisler [[the Scientology
PR man who filed the complaint]], Nibs [[L. Ron Hubbard Jr.]], R.
Kaufman [[Bob Kaufman, author of "Inside Scientology" and one of my
very closest friends for many years]], and the Greenes, who I'll
discuss in a minute.)

  But first I have to backtrack and explain that around March of
that year (although I didn't find out about it until May), my
parents had received an anonymous letter saying that I couldn't
write, that I had practiced sexual perversions with their rabbi,
and that it was a couple named the Greenes who were in back of my
harassment, not Scientology.[[*]]

  At that time, Bernard and Barbara Greene[[**]] were in court
against Scientology and were represented by someone who became a
good friend of mine, John Seffern. So I initially gave no credence
to the accusations against them, for that letter was consistent
with a Scientology smear.[[Third partying]] But the document
analyst we hired [[to examine the bomb threats]] found that the
typing on the letter to my parents appeared to match a letter I had
obtained from the Greenes -- and more important, that it was all
probably on the same typewriter as the bomb threats!

  It was then that I began to wonder whether the Greenes had sent
the bomb threats, especially when they refused to allow us to test
their typewriter and began to move it to different places. They
also had a motive, since they hated Scientology, and also had no
great love for me, since I debunked Scientology theory, which they
very much believed in, although they hated the organization.

  Had I touched a piece of stationery that evening at their house?
Or had they gotten me to touch some paper then, or later through an
intermediary such as their friend and my friend, Bob Kaufman? Were
they trying to get Scientology without implicating themselves by
implicating me? [[I was wrong, but the next theory in the following
paragraph was probably right.]]

  The situation was further complicated by the fact that they were
good friends with L. Ron Hubbard Jr., whom they said visited their
home during the time the letters were typed. (This also added to my
suspicion about Nibs, because what was this Californian doing
secretly in New York in December?)[[***]]

  Had L. Ron Hubbard Jr. tried to frame all of us so he could
become the chief anti-Scientologist, which is what he wanted? Or
was he working for them all along? [[As you will see in the next
entry, he appears to have been turned by Scientology around then
for the first time, and then again years later.]]

  Did he visit with Meisler, whom he knew, when he was in New York?
Or had the Greenes and Nibs decided to play a little joke on
Scientology one night, and Nibs took my stationery or got me to
touch a piece of paper (through Kaufman) and the Greenes typed up
the bomb threats. And when the joke later turned out to be a
federal crime, had they all started covering up? [[forget it]]


  (1) I even considered the possibility that I had done it, [[...]]
But I knew I could never be so drunk as to type up two letters,
look up a zip code I didn't know, mail two letters on 2 separate
occasions, and then not remember a single thing about it

  [[1997 Footnotes:]]

  [[*]] This anonymous smear letter -- one of 5 Scientology sent
about me over the years -- was particularly painful to me because
it was so hurtful to my parents. This was one of several things the
Scientologists did to harass them -- Scientology realized they were
my buttons -- and since they were religious people, sending them an
anonymous letter saying I was practicing perversions with their
rabbi hurt them and therefore me.

  [[**]] Bernie & Barbara were former Scientologists who owned a
major New York franchise which the Scientologists took away from
them -- as Scientology had a habit of doing whenever a franchise
became successful. The Greenes then sued Scientology.

  [[***]] Nibs's being in New York (he lived in Whittier
California) at that time without calling me was very suspicious
because we were good friends so why didn't he tell me he was in
town? We knew each other well because I had spent a month with him
the previous summer ghostwriting the Scientology article.

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (15) Frameup: L Ron Hubbard Jr.'s involvement
Date: 22 Oct 1997 11:02:56 GMT

  [[Note: this entry and the next one are important historically
because they show that Nibs (L. Ron Hubbard Jr.) appeared to have
been involved in the frame-up of me, for which he received a house
and/or money.

  [[It is also important after he told Roy Wallis -- author of "The
Road to Total Freedom" -- about some of his involvement, and Roy
threatened to testify at my trial about Nibs's statements and
letters, (which he photocopied), the government began to realize I
might have been framed and started to back down from trying the
case against me.

  [[The minute I saw the bomb threat letters for the first time I
knew that Nibs was involved in the frame-up because he was the only
one who knew I said something, and there was no way Scientology
could have known it except through him. The incriminating phrases
in the letter were something like: "I hurt. My operation."

  [[Remember, that I said earlier in this "diary" that I had spent
about a month (after major abdominal surgery) working with Nibs on
a forward to Bob Kaufman's book. I had just gotten out of the
hospital and it was too early for me to be working and I was still
in a lot of pain.

  [[I was recuperating at my parents' home and my mother would
frequently come over to where we were working and ask me how I was
feeling or how my stomach was and I'd usually say: "I hurt" or "It

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 15: Suspicions about L. Ron Hubbard Jr.
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square
brackets]]. Also, I have added some paragraph breaks.


  My suspicion that Nibs was also involved was strengthened
greatly, when, in obtaining letters of all possible suspects for
document analysis that summer, I discovered that in his handwritten
letters, the same type of errors that appeared in the bomb threats
(writing things like "lll", "cant", "a exploding" etc.) appeared
repeatedly in his unedited letters (his wife later retyped them for

  I had assumed that someone was feigning illiteracy but Nibs
really was uneducated. Furthermore, that letter to my parents could
have been written by Nibs also, especially since he kept seeming to
try to reach out to them.(1)

  My suspicions about Nibs [[L. Ron Hubbard Jr.]] turned into an
obsession that he was involved [[in my frame-up]] in August when he
was interviewed by a mutual friend of ours, Dr. Roy Wallis [[author
of "The Road To Total Freedom"]].

  He seemed to be very honest with Roy, said he was angry at me,
but that he didn't like Scientology either. Yet they had pressured
him (he told someone else they had blackmailed him) into leaving
the anti-Scientology scene, although he insisted that he had never
rejoined them.


  (1) Oddly enough, in November of 1972, right before the bomb
threats were mailed, Nibs wrote my parents a letter stating that I
should keep my eyes open and implying that bad things might happen
to me. Was he in fact trying to ensure that my parents wouldn't
think he was behind what he was about to get behind?

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (16) Frame-up/ L Ron Hubbard Jr. letters
Date: 24 Oct 1997 11:16:32 GMT

  In the previous segment, I explained why I thought L Ron Hubbard
Jr., was involved in Scientology's frame-up of me.

  To continue: while I was under indictment, and in a very bad
state physically and emotionally, Roy Wallis, who lived in
Scotland, came to New York to interview me and others for his book.

  After talking to me, and hearing what had happened, he
interviewed Nibs (L Ron Hubbard Jr.,) a braggart, who began hinting
of his involvement in the frame-up and what he got for it from
Scientology and or his father.

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 16: L. Ron Hubbard Jr.'s Letters My 1997 editorial comments
are enclosed in [[double square brackets]]. Also, I have added
some paragraph breaks.


  He [[L. Ron Hubbard Jr., aka Nibs]] showed Roy [[Wallis, author
of "The Road to Total Freedom"]] two letters which made it appear
that Scientology had rejected a scheme to frame me, and that he had
then gone to his father and offered to do anything to get back in
his good graces.

  He told Roy that he hadn't mailed the letter to his father but
Nibs may have gone off on his own, since he also told Roy that he
had received a house, a business and cash -- in late May, which was
when I was indicted and arrested.(1)

  Roy went to the government with the letters and an affidavit and
the government began to back down from the case.(2)


  (1) The first letter was from DG [[Deputy Guardian]] Bob Thomas,
then head of dirty tricks in California for Scientology, and,
incidentally, the boss of Terry Milner (who's [[sic]] name appears
in the Washington documents about framing me).

  In this letter, dated November 3rd or about a month before the
first bomb threat, Bob Thomas rejected Nibs' apparent offer to
"pursu[e] the course of double agent entrapment or harassment you
propose with regard to certain individuals you have named in your
prior communication, vis: Paulette Cooper...."

  "Entrap", incidentally is the word Scientology uses for "frame",
I learned from their Washington documents about me. Thus, it seemed
to me that the Church of Scientology itself specifically did not
want me to be framed. [[Or maybe they were just covering their a--
on paper.]]

  But the next letter Roy Wallis obtained from Nibs was dated six
days later and written to his father, L. Ron Hubbard and Mary Sue.
In it, he said he had always been working for them, and that seemed
to me to be a good indication that he wasn't, for if he had been,
he wouldn't be telling his father that 3 years later.

  He did write, however, that "I have a vast fund of information,
ability and skill plus a large variety of plans, activities and
options which will bring the enemies of the church to their knees
once and for all." There was no doubt that the first person to go
after would be me. So it looked like he had gone ahead with these
plans in order to get in his father's good graces.

  (2) We let Gordon know that we were going to call Roy Wallis (an
Oxford scholar) and Nibs to the trial, and Nibs is a pretty poor
witness since when Scientology either dissuaded or blackmailed him
into stopping his attacks, he signed a sworn affidavit recanting
his sworn testimony at a 1968 anti-Scientology trial.

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (17) Being tested
Date: 2 Nov 1997 16:56:29 GMT

  Sorry folks, for a little while I will have to drop back to once
a week postings because these are taking a lot of time (part of the
problem is matching up the footnotes to the sections) and I've got
a new book that just hit the bookstores, with lots of web page
promotional work on the two pet books out right now, etc.

  Since I will be posting less frequently, I will summarize what I
posted the previous week and give a brief summary of what the new
section is about.

  Summary: Another author (Roy Wallis) has interviewed L Ron
Hubbard Jr., (Nibs) who sort of boasts of his seeming involvement
in framing me. With this evidence, the government starts backing
down from the frame-up, but still insists on some positive proof
that I'm innocent. This section is about attempts to be tested in
various ways.

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 17: hypnosis, truth serum, etc.
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square
brackets]]. Some paragraphs have been added now.


  However they [[the government]] still wouldn't drop it [[the
case]] until I could give them some proof of innocence. (1) (Funny,
I always thought in our system of justice one was innocent until
proven guilty.)

  I tried hypnosis twice, but couldn't relax enough. Sodium
pentathol or "truth serum" was suggested that summer, but doctors
thought it was highly dangerous in my poor physical condition,
especially since by then I only weighed 83 pounds. (I spoke to Dr.
Cath [[earlier psychiatrist I went to, the one whose office the
Scientologists broke into looking for my records]] by phone on at
least two occasions concerning this, and it was his memos on those
two conversations that were later mailed anonymously to me by the


  (1) I tried another lie detector firm but they said my responses
showed too much stress to be conclusive. While they said that that
type of heavy stress is often manifested by guilty people, it could
also reflect the stress of an innocent person going through such an

  We also called in Dr. Fred Barnett, the lie detector expert at F.
Lee Bailey's firm.... [[Note: F Lee Bailey's firm, realizing this
trial would get a lot of publicity, wanted this case and offered to
try it very cheaply. My parents refused, preferring to go with far
more expensive lawyers, because they felt that the image of F Lee
Bailey was that he defended rich guilty people.]]

  Barnett [[the lie detector expert at Bailey's firm]] felt that
not only my unusual background, but also the way my (Jewish)
parents and grandmother were always trying to make me feel guilty,
would lead me to be a "guilt reactor" who would fail any lie
detector test if accused of anything, regardless of whether or not
they did it. He wanted me to be retested by a Chicago specialist
who had devised a test for people like me. I was all for it, but my
lawyers wanted the sodium pentathol. [[truth serum]]

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (18) Paranoia?
Date: 9 Nov 1997 17:27:13 GMT

  Summary: I could not figure out why the government was taking the
two obviously ridiculous letters and going after me despite the
increasing amount of evidence that I was innocent and the
Scientologists were the guilty party.

  I did learn from the Washington documents years later about the
very cozy relationship the government had with the Scientologists
during the Vietnam War, in which it appeared that Scientology
turned over to the FBI the names of people who joined Scientology
in order to get out of the war. So the FBI probably thought they
were good guys, and may have wanted to stay on their good side by
going after their enemies.

  In addition, I may have been on a bad guy list for the
government, partially because I was one of the first people to
write something questioning several aspects of the autopsy report
on the Kennedy assassination. (This was in my book "The Medical
Detectives," which came out that year.)

  Plus, I had written (innocuous) stories for papers the government
despised, and in the Nixon retribution era, may have been on a list
of people the government wanted to get.

HARASSMENT DIARY, by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 18: paranoia
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square
brackets]]. Also, I have added some paragraph breaks.


  To digress for a moment, although I still suspected Nibs [[L. Ron
Hubbard Jr.,]] the most, and Meisler [[the Scientology PR guy who
claimed to have received the bomb threat and named me as a
suspect]] second, a new suspect developed during this period.

  This was the summer of Watergate, and, in fact, the only thing
that had any interest for me that summer were the Watergate
hearings. I was delighted with the negative revelations about the
government -- which I had turned very strongly against as a result
of what had happened to me. (And it also gave me no small
satisfaction when L. Patrick Gray was indicted, since he had been
in charge [[of the FBI]] when that happened to me!.)

  But there were many loose ends in the case that kept bothering
me. Why were they [[the government]] taking those letters so
seriously, especially since they were not bomb threats at all? (One
said "I'll bomb you' but that was a reference to a person
[[Meisler]] and you can't bomb a person.)

  Why had the FBI agent [[Bruce Brotman, who was the "genius" agent
who originally concluded that I had done it and not Scientology,
and he also testified against me at the Grand Jury]] received a
special commendation for his work on the case?[[*]]

  Why had John Gordon [[the prosecutor after me]] been promoted
after leaving the case? How in hell in the first place could my
fingerprint end up on a piece of paper I never saw or touched?

  Or was it my fingerprint? Maybe the government was just saying
that. And, after all, the FBI certainly had access to my
fingerprints since I gave it to them (and fingerprints can be

  There were many other implausible things that were beyond
anyone's comprehension. (I have outlined a few of these things in
the footnotes.)

  There was also the fact that the second letter, the one with my
fingerprint on it, hadn't even gone through the mail, and yet I was
being charged with sending bomb threats through the mail. And that
letter wasn't even the bomb threat -- it was the first one -- and
yet I was being prosecuted for the content of the second one, even
though document analysts said there were two typists. [[The
document examiner we hired, a top one, said that two different
people had typed the two different letters.]]

  I felt that the government was after me, and from there it was
only one small (paranoid) step to begin to wonder whether in fact
they had framed me in the first place. And there were two reasons
why it would be plausible to.

  First, I had written a chapter in my book "The Medical
Detectives" (and that chapter had also been serialized earlier in a
magazine), quoting people who were criticizing the Government and
the FBI and accusing them of a cover up in the JFK assassination.

  In 1973 not that many people were publicly doing that, and those
who had tried, like Jim Garrison (who, incidentally, was defended
by this same Dr. Barnett I mentioned in the footnote on the
previous page) had been framed by the Government (as Barnett
explained to me at the time).

  Secondly, it came out during Watergate that the government had an
enemy list of newspapers, and I had written 8 articles for three of
the newspapers mentioned (The New York Times, The Washington Post,
The St. Louis Post Dispatch).

  Although my articles were hardly subversive or anti-government, I
suspected that the government may very well have kept lists of all
bylines that appeared in those papers, especially considering the
hysterical paranoia of the Nixon administration. So for years I
wondered if it was the government (most likely through the FBI)
which had sent those bomb threats to frame me.(1) [[**]]


  (1) Interestingly enough, the Washington documents showed that
Scientology and the FBI had a very cozy relationship in those days,
and Scientology was routinely turning in draft resisters to the
FBI, either to hurt a recalcitrant member or to gain points with
the government.

  [[1997 Footnotes:]]

  [[*]] In one of those bizarre twists, the FBI agent on this case,
Bruce Brotman, got together during this time with his old college
roommate, Jeffrey Klein, and began boasting about his great work on
this case (sure), and he gave enough details of the case that
Jeffrey realized it was me. And Jeff knew it was me because Jeff's
my second cousin.

  I was furious -- I certainly didn't want my family knowing I had
been indicted and arrested -- since FBI agents aren't supposed to
discuss their cases outside of the bureau. A few years later,
incidentally, the newspapers showed a picture of Brotman carrying
children out of Jonestown, as if he was some great compassionate
anti-cultist. Yeah, sure.

  [[**]] My name was not on the officially released list, but given
the paranoia of the times, I'm sure there were lists of everyone
who wrote for the anti-government newspapers at the time.

From: paulettec@aol.com (Paulettec)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology
Subject: Paulette's diary: (19) Betrayal by Jerry, etc.
Date: 23 Nov 1997 22:59:43 GMT

HARASSMENT DIARY by Paulette Cooper (1982)
Part 19: Betrayal by Jerry, etc.
My 1997 editorial comments are enclosed in [[double square
brackets]]. Also I have added some paragraph breaks


  In late September, when the ordeal of a trial seemed inevitable
(it was scheduled for October 31st, 1973), something made me look
up my cancelled checks of the previous year. When I first saw that
check I thought nothing of it, but as my eye caught the date, I

  I had written out a check to the United Farm Workers and given it
to Margie Shepherd on December 6th the night before the first bomb
threat was mailed.

  I had totally forgotten about that whole visit--and now I
remembered something else about her. She had never removed her coat
or gloves in the half hour she sat in my sweltering apartment. And
Joy remembered that also when I called then to ask if she
remembered Margery. ****

  My lawyers were very excited when I called them with the
discovery and told me to immediately go through lists of
Scientologists, because it would be most helpful (to say the least)
if we could prove that someone who might know the complainant
(Meisler)[[the Scientology PR man who had claimed to have received
the bomb threats and named me as a likely suspect]] had been in my
apartment the night before the first bomb threat was mailed.

  I was going through John Seffern's [[*]] lists with no luck on
Margie when I almost fell over. There,among a list of high ranking
Scientologists was the name '"Jerry Levin" -- the same man who had
been living in my apartment for at least six months.

  I simply did not want to believe it. Barbara [[my best friend, a
writer who lived in the building]] and I confronted Jerry with it,
but he rightly pointed out that it was a common name, especially in
New York, and he turned on me. After all he had done for me, how
could I accuse him of being a Scientologist?

  He almost completely convinced me that I had gone so crazy that I
was now suspicious of everyone. I ended up feeling guilty for
doubting and accusing him, even more so when he left shortly

  This strong suspicion of betrayal [[**]] added to my bad mental
state, as did the fact that once he left I was alone. If I was
wrong, then I had self-destructively driven away someone I could
have leaned on during the trial. (Indeed, Jerry had offered to be a
character witness for me at the trial, and I cringe now when I
think of the scenario if that had happened!)

  Almost everyone was gone. Bob [[my boyfriend]] had left me
completely around August, after he had come over one evening and I
had been too depressed to even fix myself up or clean the place
before his arrival. Paula [[***]] was gone. Jerry was gone. Most of
my friends avoided me because I was hardly a cheerful companion.

  1) As one of my previously close friends explained, he simply
could not talk to me about what was happening because it was so
horrible that he was depressed every time for days after seeing me.

  [[* John Seffern was an attorney who had fought a case against
Scientology. He and his former wife had once been Scientologists
and he was on their mailing list for over 20 years, receiving
Freedoms, etc. He kept them for me so we could periodically go
through the names looking for Scientologists.]]

  [[** note the word "suspicion." I simply refused to believe that
Jerry was a Scientologist until I saw the Washington documents
about 8 years later.]]

  [[***Paula Tyler, unbeknownst to me, was also a Scientologist,
and she was introduced to me by Margie Shepherd and Paula in turn
introduced me to Jerry. So that's how I was set up: from Margie to
Paula to Jerry. ]]

  [[****I may have mentioned in an earlier entry that I now believe
Margie may have had stationery taped to the back of the clipboard
(holding the petition I signed for the United Farm Workers) and
that's how they got my fingerprint..

  Or more likely, she grabbed a piece of stationery when I went
into get her a drink, and the stationery was Joy's which I had
touched and that's how they got my fingerprint. Or she unlocked the
little latch for the door so someone else could come into the
apartment later and get my stationery.

  According to the FBI, Jerry was the one who actually obtained the
stationery, so she either gave it to him, or he entered the
apartment when I wasn't there and grabbed some paper.]]

[note: this has been reformatted for ars; paragraph breaks were
inserted, and other small changes were made. If sections beyond
#19 were posted, please let me know.]


note by Arnie Lerma - I knew Paula Tyler, this was her maiden name, she

was previously known as Paula Lowe.. she married Gary Lowe

of Patterson New jersey..my best friend that I joined the

Sea Organization with in 1970...to save the world..

Arnie Lerma